NEW YORK - DECEMBER 30: David Rowe #4 and Logan Ryan #11 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights block Darius Reynolds #7 of the Iowa State Cyclones during the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium on December 30, 2011 in the Bronx Borough of New York City. (Photo by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)
Other than the first drive and select tidbits, Iowa State was incredibly flat on offense (especially the passing game), and Rutgers was more than happy to take advantage, bringing massive amounts of pressure. If it wasn't for Iowa State's defense holding up passably well, Rutgers would have ran away with this game. In the end though, Rutgers did the expected and took advantage of their receivers' size advantage over Jeremy Reeves and Leonard Johnson.
Either Tom Herman mailed it in tonight, or Ohio State has some serious buyers remorse right now. But what playcalling could save a team that couldn't complete a simple 5 yard dump pass? Tonight, the Cyclones were equal parts lack of execution and a poor gameplan.
Steele Jantz replaced Jared Barnett after a hard hit and had small flashes of the Jantz we saw against Iowa, but didn't do much to reassert himself as the starter going into next season. Paul Rhoads seems to be fine starting a QB controversy by stating it post game, and Jared Barnett confirmed that he was banged up, but still able to play.
Thanks to all the seniors this year, including Leonard Johnson and Ter'ran Benton, some who dealt with not one, but TWO coaching changes. Best of luck to all of them, whether it be in the NFL or other endeavors.
It's never good to end the season on a sour note, but here's what we have to look forward to in 2012.
- Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year AJ Klein and AP Big 12 First Teamer Jake Knott will return to make the Cyclones' LB corps the class of the Big 12.
- QB controversy or not, Jared Barnett and Steele Jantz will be another year wiser.
- Jarvis West returning kicks.
- Albert Gary (hopefully still with the team) will try to replicate his performance against Oklahoma State over an entire season
- The possible return of Shontrelle Johnson from neck surgery, adding the speed dimension to the Iowa State running attack that's been missing.
- PAUL FREAKIN' RHOADS.