What a difference a year makes. A year ago, Iowa State sat at 14-10 and 1-8 in the Big 12. We would win just twice more. Right now, we're sitting in fourth place, one game out of first. Meaningful games in February? Not since 2005. Iowa State is officially a major player in the Big 12 Conference race and the NCAA tournament race as well.
Big 12 Conference Standings
|Iowa St. Cyclones||7||3||17||6|
|Kansas St. Wildcats||5||5||16||6|
|Oklahoma St. Cowboys||4||6||11||12|
|Texas A&M Aggies||3||7||12||10|
|Texas Tech Red Raiders||0||10||7||15|
Big 12 Games this week:
Monday, February 6
Missouri @ Oklahoma (ESPNU) 6 PM
Texas @ Texas A&M (ESPN) 8 PM
Tuesday, February 7
Iowa State @ Oklahoma State (ESPN2) 6 PM
Texas Tech @ Kansas State (Big 12 Network) 7 PM
Wednesday, February 8
Kansas @ Baylor (ESPN2) 6 PM
Saturday, February 11
Baylor @ Missouri (Big 12 Network) 12:30 PM
Kansas State @ Texas (ESPN) 1 PM
Oklahoma State @ Kansas (Big 12 Network) 3 PM
Texas A&M @ Iowa State (Big 12 Network) 3 PM
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech (TTSN) 7 PM
Bonus Big 12 Games
TCU @ SMU 7 PM - February 8
Notre Dame @ West Virginia (ESPNU) 8 PM - February 8
Louisville @ West Virginia (ESPN) 11 AM - February 11
Colorado State @ TCU (mtn.) 7:30 PM - February 11
- The latest edition of the Border War jumbles things up at the top. All three teams will play each other at least once more. Still think that Kansas and Missouri are the favorites. Iowa State still needs mass chaos, but Baylor pretty much will determine their fate this week. It's not easy for the Bears as they host Kansas and go to Missouri. If you like chaos, pull for the Bears this week.
- Iowa State is a game out of first, and if this week goes like it should, they should still be sitting pretty in the same neighborhood as the big three at the top of the standings. Iowa State has another week of games that tourney teams win, and that bubble teams split.
- There's a drop off after Iowa State, but the battle for that fifth spot will be intriguing. Both Texas and Kansas State should win their games before their matchup in Austin on Saturday. It's a must-have for both teams. Kansas State's schedule gets REAL and in a hurry (KU, @BU, @MU, ISU) while Texas is running out of opportunity for wins to help their RPI. In addition, both teams just need to win games at this point.
- Oklahoma State has just two games left against teams below them in the standings, and one of them is on the road (OU). It's not looking real good for the Cowboys from here on out, but their contest against Iowa State is a game they can pull out.
- The Aggies are trending upwards, but not with the SEC speed they need.
- Oklahoma needs to prove they can beat a Big 12 team not named Kansas State or Texas Tech.
- Texas Tech: 0-for-2012, and it's not looking great that they'll get that first W before November....
- Top 5 Big 12 Games of the Week:
- Baylor @ Missouri
- Kansas @ Baylor
- Kansas State @ Texas
- Texas @ Texas A&M
- Missouri @ Oklahoma
Iowa State has a big week in terms of winning games they can and should. The three teams in front of them are slugging it out, while the two teams behind them are doing the same. Time to TCOB.