We’re starting to get deep into the college football season, but the coming weeks will show a lot about the Cyclones. Many expected them to be potentially 2-3 at this point, so let’s not hit the panic button just yet.
However, with games against No. 25 Oklahoma State, No. 9 West Virginia, and an upstart (and previously ranked) Texas Tech team coming up, Iowa State has little breathing room over its next three games.
Let’s take a look at how the rest of the conference is shaping up.
1. Oklahoma (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) (Last Week: 1) - Another week, another win for Oklahoma, as they methodically dismantled Baylor last week. We cannot wait until the Sooners and Mountaineers meet in Morgantown on Nov. 23.
Pick Em: vs. Texas (in Dallas, Texas) - Oklahoma
2. West Virginia (4-0, 2-0 Big 12) (Last Week: 2) - Texas Tech made a run at an upset in the fourth quarter, but West Virginia’s defense did just enough to compliment the nearly unstoppable Will Grier. The Mountaineers will get a mental break this week, hosting the lowly Jayhawks.
Pick Em: vs. Kansas - WEST VIRGINIA
3. Texas (4-1, 2-0 Big 12) (Last Week: 3) - The Longhorns managed to squeak out a win in Manhattan, despite going scoreless in the second half again the Wildcats. It’ll take a much more inspired effort against Oklahoma in the Red River Shootout in order to upset the Big 12 leaders.
Pick Em: vs. Oklahoma (in Dallas, Texas) - OKLAHOMA
4. Oklahoma State (4-1, 1-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 6) - The Cowboys beat Kansas, no surprise there. They’ll face a much tougher test - albeit at home - against a Cyclones team still searching for its first conference win of the season. Imagine the callers if Oklahoma State doesn’t hold serve at home.
Pick Em: vs. Iowa State - IOWA STATE
5. Texas Tech (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 4) - The Red Raiders fell behind early, and were unable to make up the hole they dug themselves against West Virginia. They have a week to rest before returning to play against TCU next week. At least fans have nothing to walk out on this week.
Pick Em: Idle
6. TCU (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 5) - The Frogs won on a late Field goal over the Cyclones, and are back on the winning track. Much more needs to be seen out of them in the coming weeks, but they have a week to regroup before returning to play against Tech.
Pick Em: Idle
7. Iowa State (1-3, 0-2 Big 12) (Last Week: 7) - The Cyclones lost a close one to TCU, and the question remains - can they find any sort of offensive rhythm without a coordinator? Matt Campbell’s offensive prowess has been less-than-impressive to date. Saturday is a big game in terms of the season’s direction...and having David Montgomery would surely help.
Pick Em: at Oklahoma State - IOWA STATE
8. Kansas State (2-3, 0-2 Big 12) (Last Week: 6) - Despite an inspired second-half performance against Texas, the Wildcats dug themselves too much of a first-half hole to climb out of. Look for them to bounce back in Waco this week.
Pick Em: at Baylor - KANSAS STATE
9. Baylor (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 8) - The Bears were brought back down to Earth at the hands of the Sooners last week. The jury is still out on what this team is capable of, though it’s not looking like good things are in store, either on or off the field.
Pick Em: vs. Kansas State - KANSAS STATE
10. Kansas (2-3, 0-2 Big 12) (Last Week: 10) - LOL.
Pick Em: at West Virginia - WEST VIRGINIA
Last Week’s Pick Em: 4-1
Overall Record: 23-9