It’s been said a lot this week - This is the biggest game in ISU Football history.
No pressure, Brock.
The standings will sort themselves out over the next two weeks. This week two Big 12 title hopefuls face off, and only one will exit with those aspirations in tact. It’s a nice college football appetizer for next week’s showdown between Oklahoma and West Virginia.
Not much changed last week - Oklahoma State’s effort against Oklahoma helped it hop up a spot despite the loss - but buckle up for the next two weeks. They are going to be fun.
***Disclaimer - Each week I try to put my
student loan debt personal feelings aside and pick impartially. This week, that’s simply not happening.***
1. Oklahoma (9-1, 6-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 1) - The Sooners held serve (barely) and escaped their game against the Cowboys with a win. An easy tune-up against the lowly Jayhawks awaits prior to next week’s main event.
Pick Em: vs. Kansas - OKLAHOMA
2. West Virginia (8-1, 6-1 Big 12) (Last Week: 2) - The ‘Eers throttled TCU, but the task of heading into Stillwater is never an easy one. Expect Will Grier and Co. to handle their business.
Pick Em: at Oklahoma State - WEST VIRGINIA
3. Iowa State (6-3, 5-2 Big 12) (Last Week: 3) - The Cyclones beat Baylor and overcame some adversity in the process, but also lost David Montgomery for the first half of this week’s game. That has the potential to be devastating.
Combine that with a true freshman quarterback - in the biggest game of his short career - in a road game - against the 15th ranked team playing for its title lives - with an energized fan base not used to meaningful November games - and it is without question a recipe for bitter disappointment.
Previous years have proven to be too much for ISU football on this stage. (WIDE RIGHT!) On Saturday, though, Matt Campbell will flip the script yet again.
Spoiler alert - Purdy has appeared in five straight games. I have picked the Cyclones to win five straight games.
Pick Em: at Texas - IOWA STATE
4. Texas (7-3, 5-2 Big 12) (Last Week: 4) - The Longhorns eeked out a win over Texas Tech, and now get to take on the Cyclones in Austin. There’s a lot at stake, and they are incredibly aware of that.
Pick Em: vs. Iowa State - IOWA STATE
5. Texas Tech (5-5, 3-4 Big 12) (Last Week: 5) - Amazing that the parity in the Big 12 is so great that no team in the bottom six has a conference record over .500. Lucky for the Red Raiders, they have Kansas State this week, and will likely find that plateau again on Saturday.
Pick Em: at Kansas State - TEXAS TECH
6. Oklahoma State (5-5, 2-5 Big 12) (Last Week: 7) - The Cowboys gave it an inspired effort against Oklahoma last week, and the move to go for the win at the end of the game was admirable. They likely won’t find the same opportunity this week, even at home.
Pick Em: vs. West Virginia - WEST VIRGINIA
7. Baylor (5-5, 3-4 Big 12) (Last Week: 6) - The Bears couldn’t goon their way into a win against the Cyclones, but they still have the stunning opportunity still to make a bowl game, hosting TCU. It may be their last opportunity, too, because next up is Texas Tech.
Pick Em: vs. TCU - BAYLOR
8. TCU (4-6, 2-5 Big 12) (Last Week: 8) - It’s stunning to see the Frogs struggle as much as they have this season, just something we’re not accustomed to in the Gary Patterson era. Pick Em: at Baylor - BAYLOR
9. Kansas State (4-6, 2-5 Big 12) (Last Week: 10) - The Wildcats beat their in-state rivals last week, and still have an outside chance of a bowl appearance, though not likely.
Pick Em: vs. Texas Tech - TEXAS TECH
10. Kansas (3-7, 1-6 Big 12) (Last Week: 9) - Back in familiar territory.
Pick Em: at Oklahoma - OKLAHOMA
Last Week’s Pick Em Record: 3-2
Overall Pick Em Record- 38-19