The Basketball Tournament, also known as the TBT is a 5 vs 5 tournament that takes place in the middle of the summer. In the past, it has been a 64 team field with four regions, but this year is a new format. 72 teams will compete this year in four, 18 team regions. In each region, nine teams will be selected by popularity bids (fan voting). Four teams will receive at large bids. Another four will be able to pay 5,000 to get in the tournament, and the final bid will go to the winner of the region last year.
Iowa State’s alumni team, the Hilton Magic Legends will compete in this tournament for the second year in a row. They will be competing for a winner-take-all prize of $2,000,000. In last year’s tournament, the team beat the Illinois Hoopville Warriors in the first round before falling to K-State’s alum team, “Purple and Black.” Fizer’s squad will be competing in the midwest region, which takes place in Columbus, Ohio.
The games will consist of four 9 minute quarters, instead of two 18 minute halves. Each team gets four timeouts per game. The players will all have six fouls a piece. With under a minute to go, dead-ball timeouts will advance to half-court. There will also be international rules on basket interference, which is a different rule for goaltending.
The fans of the Hilton Magic Legends will be able to win big if the team manages to win it all. The top 201 fans of the winning team will split 10% of the $2,000,000 pot. The top fan gets $40,000, the fans that are ranked 2-11 will get $5,000 each, 12-41 will receive $1,000, and 42 thru 201 will all get $500.
The fans will be ranked by points, these points can be gained in many different ways.
- 15 points for registering as a fan.
- 10 points for each recruit that successfully registers on the website using a link provided by the recruiter or logs in to an account created in a previous year by following the recruiter’s specific hyperlink.
- 15 points for selecting a team to support before 12 p.m. (ET) on June 1, 2018.
- 15 points for following TBT’s Twitter page (@thetournament) before 12 p.m. (ET) on August 2, 2018.
- 15 points for posting to his or her personal Twitter account an image and a specified “Hashtag,” both of which TBT will provide via our Twitter account, before 12 p.m. (ET) on August 2, 2018.
- 50 points for each game the team he or she has selected to support wins in the Tournament.
The team will be coached once again by Iowa State legend, Marcus Fizer. The roster from last year included players from an exciting era of Cyclone basketball. This year’s players will be announced throughout the voting period.
One player that you can count on being on the team is Diante Garrett. Garrett, who was on the team last year has spent his 2017-18 season in Italy. Diante played with the Cyclones for all four seasons and has had a successful professional career all over the world since then.
The great tradition of Iowa State basketball is not only because of the great players and coaches over the years, but also the tremendous and never ending fan support. We all expect Cyclone fans to vote and get this team to glory! Voting starts today and ends on June 2nd, you can support the team and vote here!