Oklahoma State kicks off the Big 12 schedule today, so here’s a look at the completely meaningless before-any-sort-of-first-down Power Rankings.
1. Oklahoma (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - Until someone comes and takes it from them, the Sooners claim the rights to the No. 1 spot. Yes, Baker Mayfield is gone. But Oakland A’s signee (and former 5-star recruit) Kyler Murray is primed for his football swan song.
Pick Em: vs. Florida Atlantic - OKLAHOMA
2. West Virginia (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - The Mountaineers narrowly edged TCU for this spot, mostly because of who they return. Will Grier is undoubtedly a preseason Heisman Trophy favorite, though the secret may be in his Samson-like locks.
Pick Em: vs. Tennessee - WEST VIRGINIA
3. TCU (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - The Horned Frogs align closely with WVU, but considering they lost almost half of their production, the three-spot made much more sense. Major question marks on offense could see them drop even lower in the coming weeks, though coach Gary Patterson will likely ensure that this is a project that’s reloading, not rebuilding.
Pick Em: vs. Southern - TCU
4. Iowa State (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - OK, OK, so while we may not be on the hype train just yet, we can already see it pulling into the station. Most pundits have agreed through camp that spots four through seven are a toss-up, and we’re trusting the process with this pick. The Cyclones are no longer the upstart underdogs, and now have to handle the pressure that comes with it. For now, we trust in Campbell, Kempt, and Montgomery.
Pick Em: vs. South Dakota State - IOWA STATE
5. Kansas State (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - Somehow, not only is Bill Snyder back, but he inked a contract that takes him through the 2022 season. And somehow, he continues to win. K-State gets the nod here based on an offense that returns most of its production, and the fact that the quarter landed on heads.
Pick Em: vs. South Dakota - KANSAS STATE
6. Texas (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - A rather big season for Tom Herman and the Longhorns has gotten off to a rocky start, at least in the media. Recent reports indicate Herman was with former Ohio State assistant coach Zach Smith while on a recruiting trip in 2014, which included a stop at a local gentlemen’s club. Not a great look. On the field, the Longhorns will stifle on the defensive side of the ball yet again, which will be enough to keep them in the middle of the Big 12 pack throughout the season.
Pick Em: vs. Maryland - TEXAS
7. Oklahoma State (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - This pick is likely lower than what the Cowboys deserve, but as stated above, the middle of these rankings is completely up for grabs. There is still no clear-cut successor to former QB Mason Rudolph, but for now, OSU has tabbed Tayler Cornelius, who proved himself capable in mop-up duty.
Pick Em: vs. Missouri State - OKLAHOMA STATE
8. Texas Tech (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - Tech’s defense is stacking up to be one of the league’s best. Stop laughing, it’s true! No other league team has three defenders on the preseason all-Big 12 roster, but the offense may atypically leave much to be desired.
Pick Em: vs. Ole Miss - TEXAS TECH
9. Baylor (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - It’ll be an up-and-down year for the Bears, who hope to return to bowl relevancy this season. In a league with such parity, that will be a challenge, and landing in the middle of the pack by the year’s end will be considered a success.
Pick Em: vs. Abilene Christian - BAYLOR
10. Kansas (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) - Woof.
Pick Em: vs. Nicholls State - NICHOLLS STATE (Seriously ... KU has three wins since 2015. Why start now?)
Enjoy cupcake week, college football is back!