You can read last weeks analytics report here.
Last Week’s Notable Iowa State Game News:
Nov. 19th: Iowa State (2-1): 73 vs. Southern Miss (1-2): 45
The Cyclones again only had one game last week. It was a Battle for Atlantis campus game against the Golden Eagles from Southern Miss. This was Iowa State’s most dominating performance of the season. They flexed their muscles on both the offensive and defensive ends.
Solomon Young continues to be Iowa State’s most effective scorer on the offensive end–he finished with 14 points and 6 boards in only 20 minutes of play. Senior, guard, Prentiss Nixon had his second highest point total of the season with 13 points on 5-11 shooting.
Overall, the Cyclones arguably put together their most complete game of the season and Tyrese Halliburton was able to get everyone involved on the offensive end–with every player who got 18+ minutes, minus Michael Jacobson, scoring 7+ points.
Notable Iowa State Team Stats:
Currently 45th ranked team in the country on KenPom *(compared to 48th last week)
35th in adjusted offensive efficiency (107.1) *(compared to 34th last week)
54th in adjusted defensive efficiency (91.9) *(compared 62nd last week)
Notable Iowa State Individual Stats:
- George Conditt remains 1st on Iowa State/4th in the country in PER (38.8)
*(Tyrese Haliburton is 2nd on ISU with 26.5)
- George Conditt remains 1st in the country in BLK% (21.8)
- Tyrese Haliburton in 6th in the country in AST% (45.9)
- Tyrese Haliburton is 1st in the country in APG (10.3)
George Conditt and Tyrese Haliburton both continue to be the most efficient players for the Cyclones, with Solomon Young in a close second.
Tyrese Haliburton—> 15.5 USG%/26.5 PER
Solomon Young—> 26.8 USG%/24.8 PER
Rasir Bolton—> 24.6 USG%/14.8 PER
Michael Jacobson—> 20.1 USG%/17.4 PER
Prentiss Nixon—> 18.4 USG%/10.1 PER
George Conditt—> 21.4 USG%/38.8 PER
Zion Griffin—> 21.8 USG%/22.2 PER
Caleb Grill—> 14.8 USG%/28.8 PER
I like to look at usage percentage and player efficiency rating–to see how effective a player is while they’re on the floor. Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor, and PER attempts to boil down all of a player’s contributions into one number, using a detailed formula.
So far this season Tyrese Haliburton, Solomon Young, and George Conditt have all been incredibly efficient through three games. On the other side, Prentiss Nixon, Rasir Bolton, and Michael Jacobson have struggled to be effective while they’ve been on the floor.
Previewing Week 3 for Iowa State:
BATTLE 4 ATLANTIS
First round: (Nov. 27th): Iowa State (3-1) vs. Michigan (4-0)
The Cyclones will kickoff their holiday tournament (The Battle 4 Atlantis, in Nassau, Bahamas) on Wednesday, against a very tough Michigan, team with first year head coach Juwan Howard.
The Wolverines are the 24th ranked team in the country on the KenPom rankings. They hold the 42nd ranked team in offensive efficiency and 26th in defensive. Michigan has rolled through their first four games of the season, headlined by a big 79-69 win over Big East foe, Creighton. They also return two veteran seniors, PG, Zavier Simpson, and C, Jon Teske Junior, Isaiah Livers leading them in scoring with 17.3 a game.
We obviously do not know exactly who Iowa State will be playing in the rest of their tournament games, so I will preview all other 6 teams in the field.
*Each team is guaranteed three games.
#6 North Carolina (4-0) (9th ranked team on KenPom)
- 13th in offensive efficiency (109.7)
- 13th in defensive efficiency (87.6)
- BEST PLAYER: Freshman, PG, Cole Anthony: 22.8 PPG, 8 RPG, 4.5 APG
#8 Gonzaga (6-0) (5th ranked team on KenPom)
- 4th in offensive efficiency (112.2)
- 15th in defensive efficiency (88.0)
- BEST PLAYER: Sophomore, C, Filip Petrusev: 16.3 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 1.5 BPG
#11 Oregon (5-0) (16th ranked team on KenPom)
- 16th in offensive efficiency (109.4)
- 30th in defensive efficiency (89.3)
- BEST PLAYER: Senior, PG, Payton Pritchard: 19.4 PPG, 5.6 APG, 5.4 RPG
#13 Seton Hall (4-1) (19th ranked team on KenPom)
- 17th in offensive efficiency (109.3)
- 32nd in defensive efficiency (89.4)
- BEST PLAYER: Senior, G, Myles Powell: 22.6 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 1.8 APG
*Iowa State is scheduled to play Seton Hall 12/8 in Ames
Alabama (2-2) (78th ranked team on KenPom)
- 89th in offensive efficiency (103.0)
- 71st in defensive efficiency (93.0)
- BEST PLAYER: Sophomore, G, Kira Lewis: 21.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5 APG
Southern Miss (2-3) (229th ranked team on KenPom)
- 253rd in offensive efficiency (95.0)
- 187th in offensive efficiency (100.0)
- BEST PLAYER: Senior, F, Boban Jacdonmi: 16.4 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 0.6 BPG
The Battle 4 Atlantis will hopefully show us exactly what the Cyclones ceiling can be for the rest of the season.