clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Cyclones fall to Hawkeyes, 18-17

Miscues prove to be too much to overcome in a game that lived up to the hype

Iowa v Iowa State Photo by David Purdy/Getty Images

The wait took forever. The game seemingly took longer. The result was all too familiar.

Kicker Keith Duncan kicked a 39-yard field goal to put the Hawkeyes up 18-17 with just under five minutes left in the fourth quarter, and Iowa got a late stop to beat the Cyclones 18-17 on a stormy day in Ames. Iowa State blew its last chance for a comeback after a miscue-turned-muffed punt with just over a minute left in the game.

It sure took a while to get to there. Two separate weather delays totaled around three hours in a game that didn’t finish until six hours after the opening kickoff.

A Connor Assalley 26-yard field goal put the Cyclones up 17-15 midway through the fourth quarter, but they weren’t able to stay ahead. Brock Purdy shined, going 24-for-34 for 276 yards and one touchdown. Nate Stanley was 21-for-34 with 197 total yards for the Hawkeyes. In the end, the turnovers were too much to overcome.

Things started on time, but after Iowa State held Iowa to a field goal on its first possession, the game entered its first weather delay. When the teams returned from the locker room, the real fireworks started.

Using the first delay to their advantage, the Cyclones used some trickery, and Deshaunte Jones (yes, you read that right) connected with a wide open La’Michael Pettway for a 51 yard touchdown. This preceded weather delay number two early in the second quarter.

The teams traded possessions after play resumed, and Iowa then drove the field after forcing a turnover and connected on a 40-yard field goal to end the first half. Iowa State led 7-6 heading into the break … the third break … which was halftime.

The Cyclones needed just two plays to score on the first possession of the second half. Purdy found Tarique Milton streaking across the middle of the field, and “The freak” used his legs to do the rest, taking it to the house for a 73-yard touchdown, putting the Cyclones up 14-6.

The Hawkeyes then used a 12-play drive, while chewing up 6:06 of time to ultimately cut the score to 14-9 with a 42-yard field goal. Then, after forcing a Cyclone three and out, the Hawkeyes used a seven play, 25-yard drive to take their first lead of the game, 15-14.

Be sure to check back in with WRNL for continuing coverage.